Wednesday, March 18, 2015

TREE BIRD BLOG HOP -- Day 4

We've reached the mid-point of the blog hop.  Are you enjoying all the stimulation of seeing what everyone has done with a bird theme.  I loved the blocks made out of the Beautiful Birds panels yesterday!
 
Just for fun, I went through my Arm & Hammer bird cards to see if I could find cards that matched the 13 species of birds featured in the panel that I used for my project (you'll be able to see it tomorrow!!).  I found 12 of the 13 scattered in amongst three different series of cards.
Each set features 30 birds and all were from the watercolor paintings of Mary Emily Eaton, an English botanical artist who worked in New York City from 1911 through 1932 when she returned to Somerset, England.  She is best known for the work she did for the NY Botanical Garden and as the primary illustrator of a botanical classic, Britton and Rose's The Cactaceae (1919-1923).  This is a link to the Smithsonian's collection from that publication if you are curious - CACTUS
The most endearing quality of Miss Eaton illustrations to me are the details of the background.  Her bird portraits aren't outstanding and we don't know if she worked from life or from other artist's work for her models.  But look at the detail of the plants and all the insect eating birds have an insect included somewhere in the painting. 
It's time to begin the tour for today and these are the bloggers to visit.
 
 
I'll be back tomorrow with my own project!
Have a pleasant day!
Mary Huey
 

1 comment: