Friday, December 31, 2021
Tuesday, December 28, 2021
Wednesday, December 15, 2021
Friday, December 10, 2021
#18 of twenty-one is finished!! I trimmed and bound it over the past couple days!
This is an antique quilt top I rescued from 1930's green sashing several years ago. I bought it at a show in the Columbus, Ohio area because I love shirting prints from the late 1890's and early 1900's, but the green sashing was just not right.
As I quilted the blocks the past couple weeks, I fell in love with the quilt's charm. It seems to have been pieced from leftover clothing fabrics but as I got my nose into each block I started to appreciate the care that went into the fabric selections.
I haven't taken the time to search out the name of this traditional block but every single block is set up exactly the same way with three fabrics -- the center square and the corner squares are one fabric, the "sashing" and the four middle squares a second print, and the four 9-patch corners from a third print. All the stripes are lined up - no helter, skelter placement. I can see the piecer choosing three fabrics from her scrap bag, cutting out the pieces and taking pleasure in laying out the next block.
The block above is one of my favorites because of those gray/black and white prints. You can see I kept the quilting simple. I used a variety of reproduction white and black shirting prints for the new sashing and they are a good fit with the rest of the quilt. I just have a few threads to bury this evening that I missed while quilting and it will be ready for a gentle washing.
While binding it, I tried out a new tip for joining the binding ends that I've been seeing in Instagram "reels" the past couple weeks. Of course, now I can't find it to share with you, but following is a series of pics that illustrate it.
Here we go!
I've trimmed the left end of the binding straight about 8" from my starting point.