Friday, July 5, 2024

An Ode to Straight Lines

 Okay, maybe this won't exactly be an "ode" but as I was quilting this Mississippi Mud over the past couple weeks, I found myself expressing gratitude to my brain for finally coming up with a good quilting strategy for this pattern.  

How many of these have I made?  
How many of these have I convinced other quilters to make?  
How many hours have I struggled to meander quilt Mississippi Mud with consistent spacing and scale?
"Straight lines" or almost straight lines is what enabled me to quilt 21 tops in 2021!
Remember all those quilts that moved off the "to be finished"?
About half of them were quilted with straight lines or straight meanders.
And many more have recieved the same treatment since then.
I can do either on my big APQS George or my standard Bernina with a walking foot.
Not only is it easier to do, it's become easier to figure out how to do it!
So reconsider the straight line and quilt one of those tops in your stash this month!!

I've prepped a scrappy binding from my 2 1/2" strip box -- there's another idea that just dawned on me?!?
How many scrappy bindings have I made and never thought to dig through that box?
I layered up the second one of these Mississippi Mud lap robes yesterday and began the machine quilting this morning.
While you are here, type Mississippi Mud into the search bar (right side near the top) and see all the variations over the years of my pattern -- many are from students.   Quilting these two tops has another idea brewing in my head for a variation of it - if it happens, I'll share it.

And you can purchase a copy of the pattern HERE -- downloadable PDF so you can start a new project right away!?!  

Finally, I'm going to break one of my personal rules and make a current affairs statement.
If you are concerned about the Supreme Court ruling about "presidential immunity" this past week and the potential danger of this distortion of the Founding Fathers' intention for balanced government -- I urge you to write to your federal legislator's and express your concerns.
I saw on Instagram this morning that the ACLU is urging us to take action.  
As one commentator said last week, we the people need to act for the good of our descendants.
We elect presidents not kings and that's what set the United States apart 248 years ago.
This isn't about political parties -- this is about democracy.
Don't ignore this.

Respectfully,
Mary








1 comment:

  1. I have made at least 7 of these. Thanks for teaching it way back when.

    ReplyDelete