Saturday, July 1, 2023

Accountability -- Second Quarter 2023 Review

 Saturday morning -- July 1 -- I've started a batch of sourdough ciabatti bread which means hanging out near the kitchen for the next hour to do a series of "stretch and folds".  Since my office is adjacent, I'll interrupt the Dresden Stars tutorial series to write this second quarter "accountability" post.

Reading this is optional for you!?!

1.  Finish six more UFO's from the leftover 2022 list.  Mmmm, no finishes here but a wee bit of progress.  This wallhanging which is my last Circle Play teaching sample is at the quilting stage - stalled out on the borders but have an idea now -- just dealing with the trepidation of actually doing it -- you know, it's the old "I'll ruin it with the quilting" fear.

I have finished piecing the three that are left from the 2022 list and am ready to organize  backings and do some quilting!

2.  Quilt the new tops I made in 2022. Good progress here.  I finished my Homage to Grandmothers Flower Garden in mid-April.  It's going to hang in the guest room sometime this summer after a couple decor updates!

My version of Jennifer Sampou's Polygon quilt was finished mid-May.  I haven't talked much about this quilt here on the blog -- lots of little struggles with the making.  While I like the finished quilt, some of the construction techniques probably pushed me outside my box more often than not if I'm honest.  It's on the giveaway list -- first offer to my girls and grand-girls.  I used a "new to me" batting -- Hobbs Tuscany Cotton/Wool Blend.  I'm pleased with the final look and feel of the quilt -- it has a nice loft, is soft, and washed up well.

3.  Deal with all the antique/vintage quilt tops I own.   Oh, boy -- no progress here!  I offered one of the tops to one of the large quilt museums back in January as a study piece but they just got back to me this week and politely declined -- so new plan needed.  

This pink and green applique is a family quilt and happily will stay in the family, but I've been waffling about the quilting process -- time to bite the bullet and go for it!!

4. If/when I start new projects, chose from a list of seven.    The cutting, piecing and applique work is progressing well on the two I started at the beginning of the year.  The Flourishes applique blocks are up-to-date -- block number six of twelve finished.  

The Hexatravaganza wreaths are finished -- twelve of twelve so I'm ready to chose background fabrics and start appliqueing the wreaths in place.  Note: the pattern calls for 20 blocks but I've started to scale down most of my work these days since quilting really big pieces is hard on my body.

And as might be expected, I've found a couple other new projects . . . . okay, okay . . .  four new quilt projects that I have launched this quarter that weren't on the list.  In my defense, I didn't know about them at the beginning of the year?!?

The (not-on-the-list) Whirly Weeds sew-along that I caved to in March wrapped up the end of May and I have a finished top and the backing prepped so it's in the quilting queue!

Another sew-along I didn't resist was in American Patchwork and Quilting magazine -- scrappy, simple blocks, just what I love -- but I fell behind so now it has become my "leaders and enders" project for the Dresden Star tutorial series work.  I've downsized my version of this quilt, too -- it will be a large lap robe and an easy one to give away.  I've pulled out my 1800's reproduction print stash for this one!

I love this K K Drama sew-along hosted by Celeste at @meerkatshweshwe Six blocks, one a month and make six versions of the blocks -- we just got the third block and so far, they've been quick makes.   And it's all stash fabric!!

In addition, I've started cutting two projects -- I'm using lots of florals for both and the quilts will be very scrappy so it's just easier to cut for two while a fabric is ironed and on the cutting table!   I don't think the two quilts will look the same since the florals will be paired with modern brights in one quilt and pretty prints in the other.  (I'm so good at rationalizing?!?  Gold Star!!)  Plus I'm "not allowed" to start piecing them until two other piecing projects are done???  (Who makes these rules?)

5. Rehome twelve finished quilts.  So my original intent is setting this goal was to reduce the current in-house stock and while I have given away 4 finished quilts and 3 tops this quarter, they haven't exactly met that initial criteria.  The three quilt tops were UFO's that I finished, made backings, and donated (with binding fabric) to folks for charitable work -- so that's good -- three less UFO's!!  But only one of the four quilts I gave away existed at the end of 2022.  These two little quilts made with African prints from my stash brought the quarter's "give away" total for 2023 to eleven!!  

Better luck next quarter on letting go of quilts, Mary!! 

Berry season is in full swing in my backyard -- the strawberries just finished and the currants and the raspberries are in full swing.  There aren't lots of raspberries and frankly I eat most of them on the way in from the garden.  But the red currants are another story -- I have two large bushes and try to freeze as many as I can.  Needless to say, the local robins are loving my garden right now!!

Onward into summer!

Mary

If you are in the northern United States or Canada, be cautious with the smoke situation from the northern wildfires.  I'm having to be stern with myself about masking but the other day, I read the impact is like smoking cigarettes.  Hopefully, this isn't a new normal for us!

Although, it is a good reason to stay indoors and sew!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment