Monday, August 29, 2016

Not stitching . . . . .

The end of August is upon us and as usual, I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by all the things I didn't get done yet this summer and the fast approach of fall with an entire new to-do list.  I've been home for two days from my brother's wedding that doubled as my first ever sisters weekend (it was fun). 
I used up the first day freezing corn because you have to do that when the corn is ready, not when you have time.
A friend and I worked together to husk, cook, cut, and pack up 9 dozen ears of sweet corn for the winter!!
Since I nibble while cutting corn, I wasn't very hungry at supper time but making some corn fritters was an irresistible idea!  A quick photo to Instagram set off some international drooling and so I thought I'd share my recipe today since I haven't stitched an inch for almost a week. 
My recipe comes from an old book, Plain Cooking, written by Bill Randles and published in 1974.  It's a collection of Amish recipes that he collected during his years as a radio host, writer, and college professor in Northeast Ohio.  (I checked on Amazon -HERE- and there are quite a few copies of the book listed at very reasonable prices.)  My own copy is filled with notations and my favorite recipes are splattered from laying open on the kitchen counter for almost 40 years.
 
So for all you folks who started drooling at the sight of my corn fritters, here is the recipe.
 
Corn Fritters
A puffy, light bread substitute -- tasty and filling.
 
2 cups fresh corn
2 eggs
1 cup flour
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
Milk, just enough to moisten
 
To begin, I put 2 to 2 1/2 cups of canola or corn oil in a heavy pan on the stove to heat up.
 
I mix the corn, flour, sugar, a bit of salt, and the baking powder together.
Then I whisk the eggs a bit and add them to the corn with just a little bit of milk to make the batter.
 
When the oil is sizzling, I drop in a large spoonful of batter -- three to four at a time.
When they are floating to the top of the oil, I flip them over to brown them completely.
Take them out and drain on paper towels for a minute.
 
We serve them warm with maple syrup for dipping -- YUM!! --
but they are good without the syrup, too.
 
This recipe makes about two dozen 2" fritters and I've discovered that they can be reheated in my toaster over!! 
 
By the end of this week, I hope to have the living room painted and be back into a daily stitching groove, but right now I think I'll go for a walk. 
Too pretty a day to rush back into my groove!
 
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment