Monday, August 17, 2020

Rebooting

 Did we even know what "rebooting" meant until the computer age? That's what I've been doing over the past three weeks.  First, I said all the "right" sentences to my doctor last month and she urged me to start an anti-depressant to ward off impending depression.  Having already dealt with it a couple times in the past, even though I'm reluctant to start the meds I realized right now I don't have the energy to talk my way out of it this time.  So I'm phasing into the little blue pill!

I'm also strong arming my way back into a more regular walking routine since I've become very sloppy about regular walks.  I've still been birding a couple times a week but that isn't walking -- it's ambling very slowly and I need a bit more go-juice!  The challenge is that it's just so much easier to stay home and stitch and I don't feel guilty because I'm being productive.

At least I think I'm being productive (though being productive may be a bit more important to me than it really needs to be . . ).  So this morning, I flipped through my work journal to see if that has been true since being at home so much since mid-March.  Yep!!

I've made all those masks!  It's been so impressive to see so many of you part with some of your stash to mask up the folks around you!!  

I'm almost finished with the third quilt in the set I'm making for my triplet grands.  I'm starting to think about graduation quilts for the two older ones -- must keep the momentum going!

I finished three small charity quilts and have another one under way on the design wall.  I am realizing how short my attention span is when piecing a new block -- yep, twenty blocks looks like enough to me.  Ready to move onto to something new in spite of the fact that I have enough pieces cut for another 40 blocks!?!

I've knit three pairs of socks with a whimsical fourth pair in process.  I'm hoping this will eliminate the Christmas sock knitting panic later in the year!  I've never had almost half my goal finished so early!

I've finished one shawl with another just past the halfway point.  And more importantly, I resisted my favorite designer's shawl mystery project that is currently underway.  Must knit what I have!!!

I've pieced and hand quilted a lap size Halo quilt based on Jen Kingwell's pattern -- binding is ready for the hand stitching this evening!  To move through a quilt from start to finish in a few months feels like such an achievement for me -- definitely not typical!

I started a quilt that has been on my "wish list" for a couple years -- Christabella by Marge Sampson-George -- it won't look like the Aussie versions of this quilt and I'm machine piecing it.  The fabric selection is slow going but I'm having fun working with two new fabric collections and filling in with some stash fabrics.  Love those zebras!
I've read posts on Instagram about quilters losing their creative focus -- I've thought about that a bit and my long standing habit of escaping to my stitching has definitely been carrying me along through this period of relative isolation.  I'm not sure there have been any big "creative aha's" but I also believe those don't happen when one isn't working, doing, messing around with the stuff.  So I push myself to pick up something no matter how I feel because I know that most of the time, doing that will draw me into a better attitude.  It's good to be able to look back over the past five months and see that trail of finished projects.  

There have been some creative bursts in the garden!  Yesterday, as I deadheaded the purple coneflower in the hope of getting a few more blooms, I tied up several bundles and hung them upside down in the hope that the local goldfinches will find them and harvest the seeds, dropping some of the seeds into other parts of the garden!
 I can't seem to read for more than 15 minutes at a time right now so I've turned to listening to books.  My current tome is The People's History of the United States -- 34 hours!?!  But I've always enjoyed history and this book dredges up the lesser known bits of this country's history which I'm finding helpful in explaining some of our current issues.  I also hope it will help me relate our family history on to my grandchildren in a way that is relevant and truthful.

Speaking of grandchildren -- look at this!!  I can still sit in a low place with a pile of kids in my lap!!  Best part was they all climbed into my lap on their own!!
Bliss!!

Oh, yeah and I've lost 4 pounds in spite of all my sourdough baking experiments!!  

Time to clean up the tray table next to my evening stitching spot so I'm ready to keep moving forward.  I love finishing so pushing myself back to the stitching always leads to a brighter spot!
I hope you are able to "make" yourself do the things that engage your mind to continue moving forward during these wierd times.

Mary


10 comments:

  1. Hard to not get depressed with all that's going on, hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely picture of you with those beautiful babes!;)) How wonderful to be able to cuddle up with them...Hope your spirits rise up and soar--my own are pretty low these days...hugs from afar julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice read, with lots of eye candy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You certainly have much to be happy about with all those beautiful projects going, that wonderful Halo finish and those grandbabies! It is hard not to be down these days, as a retired teacher I'm so concerned about teachers and children right now. But the fabric, the garden and pets pull me through most days. Last week I discovered a huge litter of kittens dumped on my road. Finding homes for them, adopting two, and teaching the terriers that they aren't mice - great distractions lately! Stay well and keep moving!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Depression seems to be at the threshold for everyone these days and how couldn't it be? It looks as though you are holding your own, though. I have ups and downs and days that just seem foggy and unreal. I always enjoy your posts, though. They are a reminder to just keep on moving. I may try your latest audio book. I was never a big history buff, but this looks interesting and I've been looking for something with a little more heft to it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you feel better soon. Even ambling outside birdwatching is a good activity...A person has to have faith and belief in themselves that a bad time will only last a while and better times will follow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I purchased your Set-In Piecing DVD a while ago and, this month, finally started a project where I'd be able to use the technique. I'm making Antique Rose Star blocks and, so far, have seven complete blocks and three more in progress. I'm really enjoying making these and a big part of the enjoyment is using the set-in piecing method in your video class. Thanks!!
    (I don't know how to include a photo in this comment, so I'll try to email one to you)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Mary, that picture of you and the grands is precious. Nothing in the world like baby hugs and lap time. We see our grandkids on few occasions but from a distance. I always cry when our visit is over. You’d think I’d be happy I saw them but it has the opposite effect on my.
    Maybe the antidepressants will help you. It’s awful to be down in the dumps most of the time. Good for you for pushing your stitching forward. All your projects are so colorful and spirit lifting. If you ever want to talk, you can give me a call. Sending hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for writing this post, Mary. I have taken anti-depressants for about 25 years. I have tried to stop them twice and each time a crisis has put me back on. they don't make me happy, but without them I feel like an enraged lioness pacing behind the bars of a cage looking for an excuse to put out my claws and roar. Your post reminded me of the need to push myself to remember that there are still many good things in life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful photos! My creative mojo has flown the coop, however, I did have some fun making masks out of fabric with shirtless cowboys and fireman for the ladies at my gym! Not sure what possessed me to buy that fabric 15 - yes fifteen! - years ago.

    ReplyDelete