Friday, September 22, 2017

Smorgasblocks Sampler -- Blogger's Quilt Festival

I finished my Smorgasblocks Sampler a couple weeks ago and shared it here on my blog so when I decided to enter it into the Blogger's Quilt Festival (HERE), I did a new set of photographs and have included close-ups of all the blocks with links to their patterns!
The quilt is the brain child of Anneliese at Eye Candy Quilts and it began last June (HERE is the first blogpost about it!)
The sampler is made up of a collection of FREE patterns from a ten quilting blog authors.
We started with Jessica's Feathered Star -- get that pattern HERE.
The fussy cut center of that gal doing her ironing set the tone for the rest of the quilt.
Also in this picture are the Raspberry Kiss blocks from Rachel at Wooden Spoon Quilts -- you might recognize the block if you follow the campaign on Instagram to help @craftycop produce a stash of blue quilts to be given to families of fallen police officers around the country.  Rachel resized the block just for that purpose!!  The original pattern is HERE.

Here's two more of the patterns.  The upper ones are Spinning Pyramids by Jesse, The Art School Dropout.  She designed the pattern for Kaufman Fabrics a couple years ago to show off their wide assortment of solids and to play with values.  
The arrow is a tutorial from Carla of Grace and Favour -- had been on to-do list and now I was doing it!!  You can get to the tutorial HERE!

Sarah at No Hats Quilts provided the Scandi Windmills block -- foundation piecing and curved piecing.  I recall being a bit intimidated, but once through the first quarter section, I was okay!
Surprising to me, it's one of my favorite blocks in the quilt.
When we worked on the section below, I was really puzzled.    It's called Twizzle and was designed by Heidi at Buttons and Butterflies.  How was it going to work into the quilt? And why did I make so many mistakes while piecing it. 
Happily all the mistakes ended up being used in the border!!
It really is a great pattern, just read the instructions very carefully.
I was so excited to find Barn Bats by Elizabeth Hartman as part of the sampler!!
I had it bookmarked but you know how that goes -- lots of bookmarks, not many starts.
It's fun to make and quite clever!
It was originally a Halloween idea and you can find the pattern HERE.
Whiskers is a big block -- whimsical needs to be the mindset for this one from Anna at Six White Horses.  The pink ears redeemed it for me because the scale of the block (15") felt all wrong.
Garden Fence was perhaps the easiest block to piece in the quilt.  It was designed by Cynthia at Hyacinth Quilt Designs.  More of the 1950's laundry routine and I think that floral print is a scrap of vintage fabric that I found in my stash!
The pattern is HERE and the block itself ends at the pink but we added sashing.
Last but not least came Orange You Glad by Emily at Crazy Old Ladies!
The hand stitched buttonhole applique with some silk embroidery thread was my personal touch.
This would make a great scrappy project to carry around for a bit of hand-stitching now and then!
The instructions for making this section are right HERE.
It was a fun project -- I discovered new designers and made a great quilt in the process. 
I worked completely out of my stash and used up all the mistakes and cutting leftovers for the free form borders!

Thanks for coming over from the Blogger's Quilt Festival to see it close up and read about it.  Perhaps you found some new patterns to try out!

It's our first weekend of Fall here in Northeast Ohio and I'm going to spend it birding!!
Hope you have fine weather and good times, too!!

Mary










7 comments:

  1. I love looking at this quilt, all the fun fabrics and the scrappy design is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! So much to see and so much sewing went into making this quilt. Very lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this quilt is delightful! I really do love a smorgasbord of blocks. The quilts with all one block are pretty, but I get bored making too many of the same thing over and over. This looks fun! Your version is wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mary,
    Oh, what a fun quilt! Thank you for explaining each section to us! At first, my favorite was the feathered star - and it is the star. But then the windmill - how cool is that. But really, my favorite is the twizzle. I just love how you worked that block into the quilt. Love it! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all the blocks - what a fun sampler quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your sampler quilt, so many interesting blocks and the fabric combination is wonderful. The Whisker block is just too cute. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That quilt incorporates quite the "laundry" list of block patterns!!

    ReplyDelete