Monday, October 13, 2014

4th Quarter Finishing Goals

I have a dream!!  And it's to finish four quilts before Christmas!  I want to give my three children and my two grandchildren quilts this year.

I spent the past weekend at a retreat with gals from my guild -- Friday I started out with the usual question on my mind -- do I have enough to keep me busy all weekend?  (really?)
I did score one complete finish.  This set of two placemats has been patiently waiting for me to finish them for . . . mmmm, 10 years.  Needless to say, it's taken longer to start that process than it did to finish it.  Just needed a deadline -- sending them off to my grandchildren this weekend! 
So, the list . . . . I need five finished quilts by Christmas.  One is finished.  In fact it was my first finish for 2014!
One is layered -- did that over the weekend!  I even know how I'm going to quilt it -- Baptist fans!
Two tops are finished, backing are assembled, and they are ready to layer!!
Hey, those are the same quilts -- different borders!!  Short story about these 3 quilts.  In about 1981 (or 2), my husband's grandmother passed away and I had come to love her so the family gave me some mementos from her things including twelve large string-pieced quilt blocks.  For over thirty years, I waffled from one idea to another about what to do with the blocks.  Finally about three years ago, I settled on the idea of making three quilts using four blocks in each one for my three children.  I'll take you through the complete process another day, but for now, aren't they cheerful!!
 
The fifth quilt is for my grandson -- it will give him a second quilt for his other bunk.  It's cut and ready to piece.
So we'll see how it goes!!  Four finished quilts in a bit over two months?  Hopefully saying it out loud for the entire blogosphere to read will help keep my motivation high!! 
 Linking up over at Little Thistle!
 
To the studio!!
 
Mary Huey
 
 
 
 
 

19 comments:

  1. I particularly like the star quilts...lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maryse -- the stars seemed rather drab until I organized that scrappy checkerboard sashing!

      Delete
  2. Those star quilts are my favorite of the projects you are showing in this post. What a nice story to go with them, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laney -- I'll be happy to have them finished!!

      Delete
  3. Great star quilts, I love the borders!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Christine. Believe it or not, I didn't buy those 3 border fabrics at the same time -- found them each on a different shopping trip.

      Delete
  4. I laughed outloud when I saw the back of your car. I'm going to a retreat this coming weekend and mine will probably look the same. That is a beautiful hexi quilt. Please link to Hexie Weekend, ends tonight midnight and it's over at Billie's this time cuz I was so busy Friday: billiebeesblog.blogspot.com Bet you'll get done in time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Hope your retreat is fun and productive!

      Delete
  5. The baptist fans are super cheery! What a wonderful way to use them! Your kids will be super excited to be unwrapping these beauties on Christmas! And a twister for your grandson is perfect. What a lucky family. Thanks for sharing Mary. I found you on Anything Goes Monday. Feel free to stop on by my blog for a visit anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually I just re-read and I see that you are going to quilt that one in Baptist fans. I thought the pattern was Baptist Fan. So...I'm guessing the quilt pattern is some kind of star. Do you know what it's called?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Zenia -- these 8-pointed stars done in a large scale with "string" piecing seem to have been popular in the early 1900's but I don't know if they had a specific name other than string pieced star? Mine are about 22" square. I'm going to practice the Baptist fan quilting design today in preparation for diving into the real quilts!!

      Delete
  7. I love the string quilts with the plaid borders. What lovely remembrances of Grandma for your children!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen -- the two girls actually spent some time with her when they were very young -- she crocheted yards and yards of lace and gave each grandchild a set of pillowcases for Christmas every year. I set aside 3 pair for my children and have saved the lace from the ones we wore out with the intention of transferring them to new cases one of these days!

      Delete
  8. What a great use of the blocks you have inherited! I think you will reach your goal, you busy bee! Oh, and I laughed when I saw your car packed for the retreat! A few short days of sewing requires a boat load of supplies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It takes a busy bee to know one!! I hope you are right!!

      Delete
  9. Those quilts are gorgeous ! And have a great story too !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll show them off again once the quilting begins and tell some more about them!

      Delete
  10. Lots of good plans. The stars quilt made with the string-pieces quilt blocks are a great way to create something useful with a heritage as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be a shame not to use them especially since I know where they came from!

      Delete