Monday, September 1, 2014

Labor Day Holiday?

It's the last big summer holiday weekend here in the USA and I'm cleaning my studio!  I spent three shifts up there yesterday.  I cleared the top layer off the cutting table (yes, it was pretty bad).  I still haven't found my Gingher shears but there's more to be done.
There is no fabric on the floor in front of the "color" shelves and the box of scrap batting is tidy and organized!  I even aborted a couple projects that never quite got started -- I don't even remember what one of them was suppose to be -- it was a good looking pile of fabric, but I'm clueless beyond that.
 I hope by the end of today, I'll be able to fold down half of the cutting table so my son can install the remaining two new windows which I hope will make the room cozier this winter!!
Just in case you couldn't tell, I don't clean the studio often enough, but the window job means I have to move quite a bit of stuff out of the way and so I might as well clean at the same time.  One of the challenges of cleaning the studio is maintaining my momentum.  Something usually distracts me from the goal.
Since I'm touching so much stuff, I'm also making another feeble attempt to shift a few things out of the house.  And that led to this session's diversion.  I've found a small quilt top (a sample for Marti Michell's Tessellating Windmill tool) that just needs borders and it won't take long?!  Thirty minutes before I took this picture, that border of squares was just a pile left over from something else and because I cut them (maybe 15 years ago), I must use them.  Happily, they are from the same fabric collection as the windmills.  (I think I deserve bonus points for being able to find the squares with very little effort!!)
The floor was at that moment the only clear space in the room -- I didn't want to take the hexagon project off the work wall -- and so I began to audition for an outer border.  I auditioned some dark prints before deciding to add the strips of squares but nothing caught my fancy.  The piles in the photo above are "the big hunks" suitable for borders and the beginnings of backings so I started pulling possibilities out of there since they were so handy.  (No, they don't live on the floor but their shelf needed to be moved temporarily.) 
It's going to be child size or perhaps wheel chair lap size.   I think the print on the right is too sophisticated for the prints in the windmills.  And also the upper left print.  I would be happy with either the upper right or the left side one.  Each one gives the quilt a different look. 
 
  What do you think?  Do your own audition.  Cover up each of the prints in the photo and see what your first thought is.   Leave me a comment and you might be the lucky quilter who will get the hunk I don't use!
 
You know I'm going to sew before I clean, don't you?
 
Mary Huey
 
 
 



28 comments:

  1. I have the same problem when I clean my sewing room--distractions and figuring out where to put things. Keep at it and you will love the result!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Tanya! The distractions are fun and day two went well but I'm going to need another week to really feel like I'm "done".

      Delete
  2. To answer your question: I prefer the fabric on the left to add to this top. Would you use it for an extra border, or for the backing?
    I understand the tidying dilemma; it hits me every time, and not only in my sewing corner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your input, Marly! It will be another border. I was thinking yesterday I need fewer flat surfaces as those seem to "collect" untidiness -- but then I though no, that won't work -- there's always the floor!?!

      Delete
  3. Your windmill quilt is lovely. I like the upper right hand fabric for the back. I don't think the others have enough presence. I just finished a foundation piecing project and have to find the top of my cutting board, then to quilt and bind a wedding quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your feedback, Joy! I hate it when the cutting board goes under!!

      Delete
  4. I like the upper right fabric--it's happy! Would make a nice happy quilt for someone wheelchair bound--or for a baby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and for your input, Laura!

      Delete
    2. You are my winner, Laura -- e-mail me at maryhueyquilts@hotmail.com and I'll get the rejected fabric off to you. It's really looking forward to working with you!!

      Delete
  5. I like the upper right fabric. It's warmer than the others, and suits the fabrics of the inner portion of the quilt. Keep up the cleaning efforts--mine is worse, and I have no place to shuffle things off to in order to clean and organize!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback, Pat! Worse? I didn't show you pictures of my "worse". (-:

      Delete
  6. I have the same distractions when I clean! I can't seem to keep going and I don't start very often--makes for a royal mess, but I love it anyway! I'm voting with everyone else on the fabric...upper right. It will be a great quilt no matter what you choose to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Mary! There seems to be a trend going on the fabric preference! I've been trying to designate each day of the week as a tidy up day for a separate room -- so far it's not working.

      Delete
  7. I do like to audition fabrics for borders and I'll fold the fabric so I can get a feel for borders of different widths. I also will take a picture and look at it on the computer because sometimes in my excitement what my eye sees is not what is actually there!
    I admire your efforts to tidy your sewing room. My efforts largely consist of moving one pile from here to there or from there to here! It only takes a matter of minutes before I'm distracted and off and running on a new project! Oh well, it is part of the creative process I think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Karen. About to begin Day 3 -- have designated today for dealing with an overflowing half bushel of small scraps -- maybe I'll get a bushel basket and piece instead? (-"

      Delete
  8. I would use the upper left fabric. It has a geometric look that goes with the quilt pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Verna and thanks for your feedback!

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I choose top upper right print . And what do you do with those long ago projects that you tossed?? Just wondering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your feedback, Angela! I don't literally toss old UFQ's -- I repurpose them which has become a pretty creative outlet for me!

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. I don't have a plaid, Kathy!!

      Note to other readers -- Kathy is one of my favorite (sometimes contrary) students!!

      Delete
  12. I'm in the process of sorting my room out aswell. Trouble is I get too easily distracted. In sorting out my fabric I managed to get together three new projects that I really don;t have the time to start xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. However, Gina -- if you only use fabric that is in the room for the 3 new projects, I think that counts -- after all you are organizing it!! Thanks for visiting!!

      Delete
  13. My husband is working hard to put the finishing the inside of the building shell for my studio. Then I get to touch every thing as I move into the new building.
    I do want lots of flat surfaces but know that I have a huge problem with covering up surfaces and making them not very user friendly.
    I like the upper right one as it softens by adding curves and it also has lots more color than the plain ones. I like colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A new building, Dorothy? Wow, that's exciting. Enjoy the organizing!! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  14. I like the very left one. Think it matches the center best. I do just what you do and usually the floor because all other flat spaces are taken. Thanks for the chance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that is the one I used!! Thanks for visiting my blog again!

      Delete