Monday, July 25, 2016

2016 Mid Year Goals Review

Back at the end of 2015, I looked at past goals and set some new ones for 2016. 
You can check out that post HERE.
Not surprisingly, I forgot about the specifics of them until Yvonne of Quilting Jetgirl reminded me last week that I had linked up with her goal setting collection and invited me to participate in a MIDYEAR REVIEW HERE.
I guess that is a good thing -- not that I forgot, but that I was reminded -- and reviewing progress mid-year gives one an opportunity to evaluate and reassess. 
So . . . . . here goes.
So glad I keep a daily stitching journal!!
"First, I'll try to finish a UFQ each month!"
My thought was to use the APQ Resolution Challenge to stay on track with this goal.  If you study my list closely, the first thing you will notice is there are not 12 projects listed and the second thing you will notice is that two of them (so far) have been relisted because they didn't quite get finished during the first month they won the lottery. 
There are two DONE's -- but not six.
Some progress is better than none and both of the "DONE's" were over 12 years on the shelf!!
"Second, I'm going to try to generate four new twin size scrappy charity quilts."
I've finished two smaller ones.  One is in this box on it's way to the Orlando MQG for their #quiltsforpulse drive!  On track but perhaps I'll modify this goal to "large lap size" quilts.
"Third, I want to get the last half dozen sets of quilt blocks malingering in boxes and baskets pieced into quilt tops."
Hmm, I think I forgot about this one completely though I did take a set of blocks that I made for a workshop that never happened and finish them into a charity quilt.  I also found a couple more piles of blocks during the studio thinning out this spring so I think there are more than six?!? 
This is a good retreat project. 
I need to go on a retreat!! 
Anyone up for a retreat??
Wait, wait -- I did get that star tumbling block top set together in May (or was it June?)! 
And the birds -- I didn't just get them set together, I finished the quilt!!
Extra points!
"And finally, I want to continue to explore piecing designs and offer workshops where quilters can apply the Set-In Piecing Simplified technique featured in my DVD." 
As predicted in January, this has been the easiest goal for me on which to stay focused.
I introduced my pattern, Dresden Stars, in the spring along with a workshop.
I continue to help my students and blog followers learn to recognize when to apply the chain piecing y-seam technique while working with patterns such a Jen Kingwell's Glitter and currently Barbara Brackman's Morris Hexathon.
And I'm currently planning a new two-day workshop for making hexagonal block samplers.
One goal I didn't set but looking back I should have because I've been doing so well at achieving it!!
"To get distracted easily by all sorts of lovely ideas on Instagram."
Nine of my thirty finishes so far this year fall into this category -- and there are a couple more in progress!!  I think I've seen a few quilters refer to this behavior as "proquiltinating".
It's significant that I've finished all of them that I've started!!
Says something for tackling small projects with a high level of excitement!!
There is still 5 months of 2016 left -- but I'm going to put my "list" up on the wall in the studio as a friendly reminder that I do have goals.

In the meantime, we'll all just keep stitching!!

Mary Huey





4 comments:

  1. Seems to me like you got a lot done. That bird quilt is too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! I am guilty of leaving projects malingerering in boxes and proquiltinating.
    You keep a daily stitching journal as well as a blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you have done a lot of quilting, whether it was part of your original goal list or not. I love the "proquiltinating" thought, I imagine most of us are guilty of that. :) Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fall Retreat!!! after October 10th. :)

    ReplyDelete