Friday, October 2, 2015

Not Finished Friday

Where did that 3 months go? 
Back at the beginning of July, I was confident that I'd be able to finish this pile of tops into the real thing -- quilted and bound!!
But I only finished two of the eight.
This one now belongs to a happy friend in her new home in Canada.
And this small piece is currently touring the lecture circuit with me to illustrated updating an older piece with some modern (and simple) quilting.
This one is so close and I really thought I would have it finished yesterday -- just two borders left to quilt and then it's ready to bind.  I guess I've been enjoying the outdoors too much lately??
The hand quilting project is moving along -- past the halfway point on the final block and half of the sashing strips are quilted.  I might bog down again while I consider a design for the border but I'm quite pleased with how the quilting is bringing the quilt to life. 
There's a full frontal view of it HERE.
Two are still layered and patiently waiting for their turn to be quilted.  They are in my line of sight from my machine quilting table and just yesterday I figured out how I'm going to quilt one of them!!
Whether that decision will speed things up remains to be seen.
The last two are still hanging out in the studio waiting to be layered.  (Sigh)
 
Next week I'll consider my 2015 Finish Along goals for the fourth quarter -- might do well to just finish the UFQ's from the third quarter. 
 
But for now, I'm going to quilt for a bit.
 
Enjoy your weekend!!
 
Mary Huey
 
 
 

6 comments:

  1. You really have accomplished quite a lot, especially considering this was during your summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've only got one pair of hands, and there are only twenty-four hours in a day! Don't beat yourself up because you've been doing other things. Enjoy the autumn sunshine while you can; besides those quilts aren't going anywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary, I chuckled at post title. You are moving forward and we'll get our UFO's done sometime. These are lovely and love to see hand quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you've done great with 2 finishes. Lots of quilters would be thrilled with 2. I love them both.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Listen Mary, you got more done than I did! I had a pile of quilts that I had planned to quilt this summer and I didn't even start on one of them! I have a couple that I am tempted to hand quilt and seeing you work on yours is making me think about getting started!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I piled up five unquilted tops, moved my sewing machine to the dining room where I have more space, put the radio on, and did as much as I could over this past weekend. They were all only small (mini, baby and lap size) so I quilted all but one. While my machine has its regular service this week, I now have a mountain of hand binding!
    You are far quicker and more capable than I am, so I know you will get through your UFOs. Saying that, it is not a race and the most important thing is to enjoy the process. Why do it otherwise?

    ReplyDelete