Wednesday, August 20, 2014

A Sneak Peak --- my workshops for Lake Farmpark 2015 Quilt Show

This past week, one of my "to-do's" was to submit my class descriptions for the workshops I'll be teaching during the 2015 Quilt Show at Lake Metroparks Farmpark in Kirtland, Ohio.  I thought you might like a sneak peak at them.  If they look interesting, mark them on your calendar now!  Registration will open later this year (early December?).
 
I'm trying something new this year -- in all three workshops, you'll have a choice of whether to machine-piece the project using the terrific chain-piecing technique that I teach or you may choose to English Paper Piece any of the projects.  I personally do both but the machine pieced ones definitely move along at a quicker pace! 
 
So here goes!
 
Hexie-Lovers Design Workshop
 Saturday, February 14, 2015
 
The sample for this is a reproduction of an antique quilt made with 1" hexies and I'm doing it by machine!  During the workshop we'll explore fussy cutting motifs for a little wow factor and you can play with creating your own layout/design using hexies.  Hexie size will be up to you and while my sample looks very traditional, you may elect to jazz it up with modern prints. 
 
 
Pieced Hexies, a New Tradition
Saturday, March 14, 2015
 
This workshop will be based on Mickey Depre's groundbreaking book, Pieced Hexies.  But I'll be taking it one step further and teaching you how to apply her ideas to any size hexagon.  Once again, students can EPP or machine piece.  These samples are machine pieced and cut with Marti Michell's hexagon templates.
 
The Rose Star
Thursday, March 11, 2015
This block has really caught my eye on Pinterest and in the blogging world.  Marti Michell will be releasing two 60° Kite and Crown Sets of templates that can be used with her hexagon Sets G and H to cut the pieces for this block.  If you have taken one of my tumbling block or 6-point star workshops, this block is a good next step.  We will concentrate on cutting and piecing one block during class which you can expand into a larger quilt. 

So there you are -- something to look forward to (I hope).  If you don't live in Northeast Ohio and are part of a guild or group that offers workshops, perhaps I can bring it to you.  I'm also available to teach in shops -- just give me a shout and we'll talk!

Back to the studio -- all three of these projects need to make lots of progress this fall and I'll keep up-to-date photos posted on my website once I post the workshops to my teaching calendar.

Mary Huey
www.maryhueyquilts.com


5 comments:

  1. WOW - I love the Rose Star. Your fabric choices are great too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kathy! It was fun to piece -much easier than I anticipated!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary, this sounds like a great workshop from the samples I see. I invite you to link to Hexie Weekend tomorrow to spread the word even more. Wish I could go, but I don't travel in the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMGosh....look at all those stunning hexies. So many different designs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Billie -- I shouldn't have so many going at the same time so trying to settle down and get all the way through one at a time . . . . . so hard to avoid distraction when it's so enjoyable!!

      Delete