Recently someone commented to me that they were surprised by my interest in EPP since I have always been such an enthusiastic machine piecer. I told her EPP is like reading romance novels for me. Two months ago I began to participate in a HEXY SWAP -- you can connect with the group here to read the rules and the monthly themes. These are the motifs I assembled from my first batch.
Since the hexies are 1", I went to my 2 1/2" strip stash -- no problem finding what I need 98% of the time. It's small and a bit messy, but I've made so many quilts out of it over the past 20 years -- it's a sourdough box -- leftovers go in and quilts come out.
But I really needed to mail mine off on Tuesday morning or I would miss the deadline, so just this once, I glued them (and endured the sticky fingers). Because the deadline was tight, my tendency to make the process systematic kicked in automatically. I laid out the first set of hexies wrong side up on a vinyl covered notebook that was at hand.
Then I placed a paper on each one. I use Fiskars Extra Large Hexagon Punch to make my papers from all those little advertising cards that fall out of magazines and come in the mail.
After a couple clumsy attempts, I finally hit on gluing down every other side first.
And coming back for a second round to glue down the remaining three.
At this point, placing two fingers at each end of the seam being folded over helped me keep the corners tighter where the adjacent seams lap over each other -- really made my fingers sticky! I'm not sure if it actually went faster, but it felt like a smoother process to me.
Here they are being auditioned just for fun.
Stacked up and tacked together ready to mail!! I made it!
Turns out the notebook was a good work surface since I could clean it up with a quick wipe of a damp cloth and the glue washed off my fingers easily, too. While I still prefer thread basting, the glue basting does have it's charms and I learned I can tolerant sticky fingers for a short time.