Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Farmpark Quilt Show Winners Review

Welcome to all the visitors from Freshly Pieced's WIP Wednesday -- I love being part of that link-up and also from Val's Quilting Studio's new link-up, Tuesday Archives.

 There is one week left for the Lake Metroparks Farmpark Quilt Show.  What began twenty-three years ago as a little quilt exhibit to attract folks to the park during a slow season has become an annual event that attracts 200 entries and thousands of visitors.  The show hangs for six weeks and is an excellent showcase of the traditional quilting in this region.
 
Yesterday I made a stop there in the afternoon in the hopes of a quiet visit to review all the first place quilts.  It was not a quiet visit -- it was free admission day for county residents and so the place was quite busy -- but that's good to see, too!  But I did get pictures of most of the first place quilts and I'm sharing them for you to enjoy.  I'm not going to make any comments -- I'll leave that for you to do. 
 
"General" refers to categories where the quilt was quilted by another person (name in parenthesis) and "Individual" refers to categories where the quilt was quilted by the owner. 
 
For The Love of Trees
Best of Show 
 First Place in Individual Mixed Techniques
Shirley Tchou
 
Starlight Memory Paths
General Pieced, Medium Bed Quilt
Carole Ralston   (Janice Kiser)

Gratitude
Individual Pieced, Small Wall Hanging
Jan Frankel

A Purr-fect Time to Clock the Cuckoo
Art
Beverly Fawcett 
True North
General Pieced, Wall Hanging
Sonia Cipiti (Nelly Vileikis)

Wool Ark Crazy
Applique, All Sizes
Gail E. Jones

Abbey Grows Up
Special Techniques
Kathy Hancock (Linnea Kuckelheim)

Gubio, Italy at Sunrise
Pictorial
Jan Mitri

Calendar Quilt
Miniature
Rebecca Lindquist
 
Boston Commons
General Pieced, Small Bed Quilt
Linda Childs (Kathy McCarty)

Civil War Chronicles
General Pieced, Large Bed Quilt
Susan Gourash (Ann Talikka)
 
Coraline
Individual Pieced Bed Quilt -- All Sizes
Michele Howell
 
Pieceful Constellations
Individual Pieced, Large Wall Hanging
Mary Huey
 
Just reviewed the Winners List and realize that I missed one quilt -- my apologizes to Gail Koraith who made the First Place quilt in General Mixed Techniques -- I'll have to snap a picture of it when I'm back at the Farmpark teaching on Saturday.
 
The show remains open through Wednesday, March 26 (though the park is closed on Monday) and if you head out there, don't pass up the chance to visit the lambing shed which is chock full of cute newborn lambs and goat kids!!
 
The park is located at 8800 Euclid Chardon Rd., Kirtland, Ohio 44094.  Phone is 800-366-3276.   Admission charged.

8 comments:

  1. Wow, what gorgeous quilts, I can see why there are a lot of blue ribbons! Glad I didn't look at your before I posted mine over at Vals, LOL!! Lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This show gets better every year and it's wonderful that it hangs for six weeks so we can go back and look at it over and over!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations Mary. That one is not only beautiful but fasinating to see how you have varied the "block

    " pattern that YOU taught me to hand quilt a "few years" ago!.. You are still (in my mind) the best teacher around. Happy Quilting! Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pat -- I miss your smiling face and positive attitude!!

      Delete
  3. wowie~ I'm making a tumbling block now and realize the person hours that went into yours!
    Leeanna Paylor
    lapaylor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I discovered how to chain piece through set-in seams, making those stars and tumbling blocks is much easier and accurate -- check out my DVD workshop, Set-In Piecing Simplified!

      Delete
  4. That Love of Life is just absolutely stunning isn't it!!! WOW! I keep scrolling back to look at it. LOL! I'm creating a pieced hexi now and keep looking at your constellations for inspiration of color variation and design.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting again, Val -- glad to be able to provide inspiration!

      Delete