Monday, December 16, 2013

Catching up!!




I'm slightly behind . . . . . of course!  That is another reason I have so many UFQ's -- too many oars out of the boat.

Part 3 of Bonnie Hunter's Celtic Solstice quilt went on line Friday morning and while I'm not completely finished with Step 2, I am moving forward!

 
I was pleased to see all those extra yellow strips I cut last week were needed for this step! 
 
 I just needed to cut the orange ones!
 
 
And I could use template #6 from Marti Michell's Set A once again.
 

I layered my strips up four at a time -- orange right-side up, yellow right-side down, orange right-side up, yellow right-side down -- so that as I cut them they were ready to sew!  I've learned to trim the points even when it doesn't seem necessary -- the bulk it eliminates does make a difference in the quality of my finished work.

 
Soon all the stacks were cut and I was ready to head to the machine.
 
 
Then the ironing board -- the "salad" of pieces on the left slows me down and wastes mental energy as I have to figure out what to do with each piece as I pick it up.  So as I clip my chain pieces apart, I stack all of them exactly the same.  My post in early October on "pressing" has more detail.  Once they are stacked, I just need to figure out what to do for the first one (press to the orange) and I'm off -- much less thinking!! 
 
 I really appreciate Bonnie including pressing instructions at each step -- that saves me some more mental energy!!
 
 
I still have half the triangle sets left to stitch but had to stop and put one pinwheel together. 
 
This week, I'm finishing up Christmas sewing -- three more gifts (small) to go -- but I have lots of "leaders and enders" for my stitching and that's good!!
 
Escaping from the "hectic's" at the sewing machine every chance I get!
 
Mary Huey
 
 

 
 
 

 



 
 


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for linking up, Mary! I sew all my triangle pairs with the same color on top -- and CHAIN PRESS, then cut them apart...it goes faster than picking up one unit at a time to press..try it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip -- I'll give it a try later this afternoon.

      Delete