Tuesday, August 27, 2013

A New Tactic?

August 26, 2013

I'm still stuck on this goal to finish 13 really old UFQ's this year.  It's frustrating that I've made so little progress!! 

I am working . . . . . just not on the UFQ's.  I have my new teaching samples pieced for the 2014 Farmpark Quilt Show Workshops in February and March -- the Drunkard's Path is layered and will be next in line at the machine.  The Pineapple quilt is ready to layer.  And in the midst of a few days set aside to tidy up the sewing studio, I set together 30 antique blocks and made the backing for that quilt. 

I am making progress on the hand-quilting for #3 -- one more evening should finish the blocks and I'll be ready to begin quilting the border!  Best part of that is that I've decided how to quilt the border already -- won't get bogged down with the "thinking" this time!!! 

But my progress feels very slow and I have to confess that I'm easily distracted so I have made two important moves towards picking up the momentum.

The first decision is to jettison one of the projects!!

I am never going to finish this -- it's a gorgeous quilt, but the colors don't appeal to me any more and I don't know what I would do with it when it's finished, so-o-o-o it's available -- give me a shout if you'd like to take it on!  70% of the piecing is done (it's paper piecing), all the fabric for the top is included (it's a big one), and it will be beautiful when you finish it!!!

So that reduced the list to 10 UFQ's still to be addressed!!




The second decision was to buy an APQS George quilting machine at the NQA show in late June!!!

It came in mid-July and I've finished a very old medium size quilt (which wasn't on my list of 13 -- unfortunately) and two small quilts to be donated.  A fourth small quilt is done to the borders.  Today, I'm going to have a one-on-one with another George quilter to answer some questions and then I'm ready to tackle the three UFQ's that are ready to machine quilt!! 

I'm pleased with the stitch quality and seem to be experiencing less tension in my neck and shoulders while working.  Plus I've set it up away from the studio -- it's in my office and as long as I keep something layered and ready to go, I'm finding it's easy to sit down for 30 minutes and work on a project.

In the meantime, I've pulled out another UFQ that needs more piecing and will start using it for the "leaders and enders" while I work on new teaching samples.  Bonnie Hunter shares that idea in her lectures and it's a good one!!

Stayed tuned to see if the momentum does increase and whether I get the better of my UFQ's or they get the better of me!?!?






1 comment:

  1. For heaven's sake Mary, you have had us doing leaders and enders, calling them sew offs, for decades. Glad you and George are having some quality time.

    ReplyDelete