Sunday, November 11, 2012

Sunshine = ENERGY

Gosh, it feels good to have the sun shining in my office window this morning.  I hope the folks on the East Coast who felt the full power of Sandy are being blessed with some of this liquid gold this morning!!  A sunny day lifts my spirits and fills me with energy, so I'm attacking my "to-do" list with vigor this morning and posting a progress report is #1!!

I'm happy to report, I'm still on track for using 212 yards of glorious quilting fabric by the end of 2012.  The count this morning is 176 7/8 yards!  And I think I'm beginning to see one of the benefits of using so much of what I already own -- there is actually over an inch of empty space at the top of all my shelves!?!  That's exciting.

And there are still 3 projects that I've cut and not stitched that haven't been tallied.


I spent 3 days last week demonstrating Marti Michell's new Tesselating Windmill tool during the Amish Country Shop Hop at Mercantile on Main in Coshocton, Ohio.  So I took along stacks of fabric organized for quilts using that tool.  What an efficient strategy Marti has developed for that tool!!  Last Sunday, during the annual Wildwood Quilt Guild's show in Mentor, Ohio, I was tired of standing and cutting, so I stitched one of the windmill quilts together.  This one is destined for my charity quilting group's annual donation of children's quilts to Laura's Home, a wonderful ministry of Cleveland's City Mission. It's ready to layer and quilt!!

Of course, one can't be expect to spend 3 days in a 
quilt shop without shopping . . . . can one?  I wish
I could say each one was purchased with a specific purpose in mind, but I've been an impulse shopper for too long.  I can defend several of them though -- the strippy one (third from the bottom) is for the border of my fourth windmill quilt.  The blue one in the middle has birds on it -- do I need to say more?
The brown one (with the owls) is for the border of a windmill quilt I'm going to make for my grandson.  The pile of blue quarter yards on the left is for a new 6 pointed star project, the white on white quarters on the right and the polka dots are to replenish indispensible basics, the oranges and purple are just because they were good ones.  The one on the bottom will be a terrific inspiration for something and there are a few Civil War pieces wedged in there to expand that assortment in my stash.  There I've justified all of it but I'm not going to tally it up!

So I have to use about 5/8 of a yard per day for the rest of the year to make my goal.  Binding 55 quilts will take care of that!  Or I could make 27 pillowcases.  Oh, gosh, I forgot that I donated half the strips from my 2 1/2" strip stash to the charity quilt project this week -- that's at least another 3 yards!!  And there is a very old project on the work wall that has finally made it to the border stage -- borders and backing!! 

I know a few of you out there have also been attacking your stashes this year -- I'd love to hear what sort of progress you are making!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment