Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Status Report!

116 3/4 yards to date!! 

I'm a little behind -- about 7 yards.  There are two reasons for the slower output at this point.

 
There's been quite a bit of hand stitching going on around here and it's hard to "burn" through lots of fabric rapidly in that mode.  This is a sample I stitched last week for a workshop I'll be offering during the 2013 Lake Farmpark Quilt Show.  It's a pattern that has been lurking in my stash for over a decade.  It's part of a beautiful sampler of fruit portraits from the Piece O'Cake gals.  I had long since decided to do a smaller version and am pleased with this first one -- 3 more to go!




I'm traveling quite a bit in August and need some compact road work.  As part of my fall seminar, HEXAGONS & THEIR ALLIES
, I'm putting together an English paper piecing style sample.  I loved a Grandmother's Flower Garden variation I saw on E-bay that used a variety of sweet florals for the outer circle.  One thing I have  is lots of sweet florals.  So I've organized the supplies for my trip to Denver to lecture for a couple quilt guilds next week.  Of course, I had to make one of the flower units just to see if it would work . . . . okay, 3 of the flower units.  If you've never tried this technique, my experience has always been enjoyable to the point of not being able to stop -- just one more, just one more.  I do have to leave it alone this week or I won't meet the deadlines I have!

The second reason for the slow down is that at some point, one does need to quilt some of these fabric- eating quilt tops!!

This is a hand quilting project that I set to work on several days ago.  It will likely keep me occupied during the evenings through the month of September.  I'm starting with the outline quilting around the appliques in the hopes that the consistancy and length of my stitches will improve by the time I get to the planned "chicken wire" background quilting. 







This sample came home with me yesterday from a workshop I taught at The Sew'n Place in Chambersburg, PA.  (Nice shop and lots of new fabric!!)  It's the deadline project this week -- destined for a baby show on Sunday.  The 6" blocks in the center of each "star" are from that charming book, The Farmer's Wife.   I designed the setting to make a few blocks go a long way fast!! 

I'm off to my studio to layer it today! 
Quilt it tomorrow! 
Bind it the day after!! 

Ta-dah!!  Another one finished and on it's way to a happy new home!!




                                                                    


 

No comments:

Post a Comment