Tuesday, February 21, 2012

And there was a little pause . . . .

I should have known that there was a speed bump ahead when I made so much progress in January at using fabric from my stash!!  My Mom took a tumble two weeks ago and I've spent lots of time "waiting" here and there for this person and that person.  But when life happens, I'm glad I have my hand work organized as a quick fall back.  That totebag with my knitting which is always waiting by the backdoor got more attention than usual.  One pair of socks down and another in process!!  And my "big stitch" handquilting project was waiting to help me unwind every evening. 

Happily, Mom is on the mend and this past weekend my students in the Economy Stars String Piecing workshop I taught at the Lake Metroparks Farmpark Quilt Show helped me get back to my machine and some happy stitching.  The work they produced was inspiring!  

My goal for them was to use my quilts as an inspiration for their own pieces rather than copying my work exactly!  There were some interesting color combinations that grew out of their own fabric collections -- I love the way Diane graded the value of her diamonds so that the center of the star glows!


Kathy's background was going to be lime green but some auditioning with other possiblities resulted in a much better fit for the scrappy color combination she was using.











Jan's inspiration was a flowery assortment of discarded hospital gowns that her daughter rescued when she worked at a nursing facility -- they are destined for a charming wedding quilt.


I have to confess that when Phyllis announced she was using some red and yellows from her stash, I was skeptical -- I know that's a popular French Provencal combination, but I have trouble with how bright it is . . . but I was wrong -- she made a great top and I love how cheerful it is!! 








Diane worked out of my scrap bags -- they are very easy to access because I have my leftover strips sorted by colors!  There are six bags just waiting for someone to dig into them!  I set the stars with larger than necessary squares and triangles to make it easier to square them up by trimming them down.


Linda's version is the work of someone who has been quilting for a long time -- her fabrics were full of memories for both of us since I had sold many of them to her over the years!  Those blues and warm browns that were available in the late 1980's are still unbeatable in my stash!

If you wish you had taken this workshop, let me know.  I'm glad to offer it again! 

And now I have quilts to finish!!

Mary Huey

No comments:

Post a Comment