Thursday, January 5, 2012

In the beginning . . . .

In the beginning, there was a retired quilt shop owner with a lot of fabric -- enough to last quite a few years without buying another stitch of the stuff.  Add in a "few" UFQ's (unfinished quilts), and it makes for an endless "to-do" list. 

During 2011, I strove to reduce my stash by 100 yards and by the grace of a December 30 culling of the red shelf, made it to 101 7/8 yards less fabric than on January 1.  Actually I used 160 yards of fabric but I treated new purchases as a debit against my total used.   That goal stimulated a lot of fun and creative stretching, so I have decided to do it again!

2012's goal of 212 yards can be achieved by using the fabric myself, donating it to other quiltmakers, or selling it off during my annual summer yard sale.  I'm going to keep a tally of my purchases, but I'm not going to deduct them from the final total.  One of the things I achieved in 2011 was more self-control around fabric for sale.  Part of the reason for that, I think, is that I've become really well acquainted with my stash so most of my buying was to fill gaps in my color palette or for a specific use.  I think its so exciting to use the beautiful stuff I already own and I'd rather see it in a quilt than on a yard-sale table!


I know it looks a little chaotic but I work spontaneously and can never seem to get completely through a tidy-up session without having yet another idea for a quilt.  Notice the almost empty shelf!  It's all on the floor while I look for just the right green and at least tidy-up that shelf at the same time?!?

I plan to post a progress report a couple times a week and I'll share my strategies and ideas for using up more fabric and finishing more projects.  Lots of these ideas have evolved as a result of my teaching challenges and I've created a home study course to share what I've learned with you, UFQ Assault Tactics, which is available by contacting me at maryhueyquilts@hotmail.com.

Mary Huey

8 comments:

  1. Of course I will be checking on you. Best of luck with this. I even had to create an account and I hate doing that sort of thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Luck Mary!! I will look forward to reading about your progress as I attempt to meet my quilting goal - to finish the quilt I started at your trial workshop last fall!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooo...wish I had been the first to comment! But I love your writing...you inspired me with your last e-mail and I will be sure to keep up with your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best of luck with your goal, Mary...welcome to blogging! I have a few goals myself regarding finishing UFO's, and quilting tops that I have made. I've already quilted one quilt, so I'm on my way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks to all who've had a look! I'll be sending off a little bundle of classic quarters to the first follower, Denise Guthrie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for helping me to feel normal with my own chaotic mess in the studio! Your lecture on repurposing has had a great effect on me, and I have cleared away many projects with your suggestions. Blog on , Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great blog, Mary. I've added you to Google Reader so I'll be sure to see each post you make.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome to blogland, Mary! I think many of us look forward to hearing about your 'stash strategies'.

    ReplyDelete